According to Huashang Bao, a commercial newspaper in the city of Xi’an, 31 people, including 13 children, suffered serious burns and eye injuries at Tongchuan City People’s Hospital in Shaanxi province when ultraviolet lighting was mistakenly turned on in a hospital ward. The reporter from the newspaper found upon visiting the hospital that the ultraviolet switch was located right next to the normal light switch. In this cartoon, posted by the Kunming-based studio Yuan Jiao Man’s Space (圆觉漫时空) to, hospital patients desperately try to shade their eyes as violet light rains down from overhead. Switches right next to one another on the wall read: “Floor lamp/flourescent lamp/ultraviolet light.”

David Bandurski

CMP Director

Latest Articles